Thursday, April 18, 2013

High Hats!

These were fun! Although I had no confidence they were going to turn out at all. The concept isn't new, check out Martha Stewart or Bakerella's websites for detailed instructions or order this Cupcake book that Bakerella refers too. I varied a little so I'll give you my version.I used my regular cupcakes and buttercream frosting, but stuck to their suggestions of using semisweet mini's to melt adding in 3 Tbs of vegetable oil. I frosted mine more like a DQ swirl rather than the traditional High Hat look. Once I had the chocolate melted, I poured it into a solo cup (red to be exact, feel free to pause and sing the song....you know you want to!) and let it cool for more than 5 but less than 10 minutes. Then I got to dunkin'! Very wary, but to my surprise, they came out perfect! I had to melt about half a bag more of the chocolate chips and the second dipping session didn't get off to a great start. The frosting didn't fall off, even though they had been sitting room temp for a good 20 min. I think the chocolate was still too hot. It appeared lumpy and didn't drizzle off like the others did. So I waited a little longer, stirring it and within minutes tried again and it was fine. So be sure to not dip right away! And also, hold the cupcake upside down long enough to let as much chocolate drip off as possible. Otherwise you won't get the clean dipped look.







No comments:

Post a Comment